My tryst with destiny

Dei shanmugam edra vandiya

Saturday, October 04, 2008

Chat session with Haas

Haas arranged for a chat with student's ambassadors and adcom members on Oct 1 9-10 am PDT.

Since I got the timing wrong, i went to chat 1 hour early only to find out that no body was there. I expected a lot from the session. I thought that they would be candid about their process and clear very specific doubt. Most of the doubts were pretty general and could be found in the site itself. There were certain specific questions that was not related in any means to me.
I asked just two questions.
1. I expect Haas to provide good placements in Tech companies as it is near Silicon Valley. Am i right?
2. I am from India. I have had two business trips to US and one to Canada. I work in an MNC. I communicate with US people almost every day through calls and e-mails. My medium of instruction throughout my education was english. I don't understand the need to appear for TOEFL. Is there any chance of getting a waiver for TOEFL?

The chat was moderated. I didn't see my first question and they didn't answer directly to my second question. The answer had exactly the same words as what I have seen in Haas site about TOEFL requirement. By this time, it getting late for me. So, I logged out. I got only two meaningful information from the session.
1. They treat the applicants who visited their campus favourably.
2. They consider mathematical talent very seriously. (Not bad huh?)

For those who had missed the session, they had promised to post the contents in their site by 2, 3 weeks.

1 Comments:

  • At 4:42 PM , Blogger Admin said...

    I do understand your concerns, but TOEFL. Most other countries dont have medium of instruction as english in India form LKG.

    thats the reason U.S. Universities ask for TOEFL. Maybe they can waive TOEFL for students form India


    For more information on GRE visit Happy Schools Blog

    You can also find information about
    U.S. Graduate School selection,
    - Sample sops sample sops ..
    - Recommendation Letter
    - F1 Visa bank documents

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home