My tryst with destiny

Dei shanmugam edra vandiya

Saturday, October 06, 2007

Black or white? - Part I


"The world is full of prejudices. To get on top of it ignore it" - So said the great zen Kyuin goan...Don't believe it? Man when am i going to be convincing in telling lies.
In the places where i grew up and lived till now, the colour of the skin decides the beauty 90%. I don't question one's own preferences of what beauty is even if the pattern is so omnipresent that u start question whether beauty lies in beholder's eyes or not. But, sometimes people take their definition of beauty too far that they judge one's ability based on that.
I am ok with someone who says "Wow how beautiful she is ..those flawless fair skin showcasing her as an angel"
I am not ok with "Eeek look at him how black he is. definetly he will not qualify"
Well, if u r acting holy by thinking "does this happen in my world no way", then sorry my pal you are not only ignorant but also have a very happy life without much thought about how the earth revolves around the sun
Let me first tell my tryst with all those people who are obsessed with colour.
1. My cousin - she is younger than me. We just meet in marriages and rarely in our houses. When we were travelling together, she sat near me and kept her hand near mine. "I am more white than you". I was not irritated but that left an impact on me. The thought came to me again and again. what if she has asked somebody who has inferiority complex about her colour.
2. My friend - He hates actor vijay. well any sane person would do that but the questionable thing is what made him hate. He says it is his colour. He hates every actor who is dark including thalaivar.
3. My colleague - Her child is little dark i.e darker than the min(hus col, wife col). So she is not happy showcasing her kid. Ofcourse there is society pressure which makes her admit this only in rarest of rarest of moments. Imagine how blasphemous it would be for a mother to make such a statement.
The list goes on and on. If u r expecting all these people to mean. Sorry guys they r not. In fact they r some of the nicest persons i have seen. So how come these guys have such a meanly prejudice. Let me analyse in another post.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home