My tryst with destiny

Dei shanmugam edra vandiya

Sunday, October 28, 2007

First Step

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step - Confucius.

Step 1 in the MBA journey is getting into the school. All those who have been there and did it before may say that is the easiest and less taxing part of the journey. But no one cant deny it is the most important step. All that .There are few things in my hands and few things not in my hand.

Things in my hand
1. GMAT score
2. Essay presentation
3. Interview
Things not in my hand
1. My track record

Well i chanced upon few resumes and few profiles of applicants. Many have fancy achievements. Something like ..i was selected for leadership program in my company. i am one in million. Kind of scary when i don't have such achievements. I don't really worry about presenting my achievements (it may not sound like one) in a pompous way. nor am i worried about picking mediocre of work and translating it to something extraordinary. I can do all these things for my extra curricular activities that i did in college and my activities in workplace. What i cannot do is that i cant really come up with any instance of helping common people anyway. Yes i have donated blood many times and i have donated money when ever i was approached. I have visited orphan homes few times (thrice to be exact). These are very few and scattered in my life and it doesn't sound like an achievement. Achievement should be something like..i am involved in an NGO, i helped tsunami victims, i am youth leader of green peace movement.
Well i am thinking about improving my helping record in coming days. But my application wont wait till i transform into a responsible citizen.

With respect to all these achievements getting mentioned in applications and interviews, i have few questions for all those Been-there-done-that (BTDT).
1. How do the admission panel know if i am lying about my achievements?
2. Will they ask for any proof or letter from the concerned people? For example, if i say i captained my college volleyball team (which i didn't, i was in the team but) will they ask a letter from college PT?
3. If i am a very good lier, can i get away with all those small work built up to a towering achievements?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home